How to Plan a Trip to Alofi
Alofi: it’s the capital of the island nation of Niue but it’s probably unlike any capital you have visited. The peaceful town is sprawled across the rocky clifftops of the raised coral atoll where walking to where you need to go takes 10 minutes at the most! Locals wave to each other as they drive on by, everyone knows everyone, and you’ll come to recognise many by the end of your visit. For travellers looking for convenience without sacrificing the relaxed ambience that we all crave when exploring the Pacific, Alofi is well worth considering as your base in paradise. Let us guide you through the various ways to enjoy Alofi according to your own unique travel style in this complete travel guide to Alofi.
For more information on the whole island, be sure to head over to The Complete Travel Guide to Niue.
Frequently Asked Questions About Alofi
We won’t waste any time in getting to the good stuff; what are the questions most travellers have about visiting Alofi?
What is Alofi Known For?
Alofi is famous for being the second smallest national capital in the world (after Ngerulmud in Palau).
Where is Alofi Located?
Alofi is located in the centre of the west coast of Niue.
What is the Population of Alofi?
The population of Alofi is approximately 600.
What is the Weather Usually Like in Alofi?
The daily average temperature in Alofi is 25°C/77°F, while the yearly average rainfall is 1,955 mm/77 in. Find out more in What is the Weather Like in Niue?
How Do You Get to Alofi?
Flights arrive twice weekly at Hanan Airport, a five-minute drive from Alofi. Air New Zealand operates flights from Auckland, New Zealand. To get to Alofi, accommodations offer airport transfers, while airport car rental drop-off is also available. Find out more in the Niue Transport Guide: 11 Ways to Get Around Niue.
Finally, check out the Information, Shops & Services in Niue for more practical tips.
What to Do in Alofi
Niue’s main centre is a hub for dining, shopping at quaint shops and a market, as well as some of Niue’s most iconic experiences like fishing or swimming with humpback whales. All in all, Alofi makes an ideal base for culture and adventure.
The Top Experiences in Alofi
What are the must-dos? Here are some of the Alofi highlights:
- Swim or snorkel at the bottom of Alofi’s sea tracks
- Do an orientation tour of the island
- Tackle game fish on an exciting fishing charter
- Swim with whales or dolphins
- Dine at some of the island’s best restaurants
- Watch the women’s weaving groups
- Go on a day trip from Alofi…
Rainy Day Activities
Being a town on a tropical island, it’s no secret that Alofi gets its fair share of wet weather. Although we’d advise “just to get on with it”, as the rain often passes quickly and the hot climate with dry you off in no time, some indoor alternatives include:
- Browse the local museum, Fale Tau Taoga
- Shop for unique souvenirs at the Niue Market
- Indulge in a heavenly facial at Vilina…
… And much more that we mention in the 15 Things to Do on Upolu on a Rainy Day.
Things to Do at Night
From partying at Alofi’s bars to stargazing in an International Dark Sky Reserve, there are many ways to keep the holiday vibes fresh even after dark. Some things to do in Alofi at night include:
- Delighting in some sundowners or party into the wee hours at Alofi’s bars
- Stargaze in the world’s only Dark Sky Nation
- Hit the monthly Niue Organic Farmers Market…
… And find more after-dark entertainment in the 10 Things to Do in Niue at Night.
Where to Stay in Alofi
Aside from our top recommendations listed beside this complete travel guide to Alofi (or at the bottom, if you’re reading this on mobile), we’ve compiled the best accommodations based on price, suitability for families or couples, as well as more premium offerings. What’s more, each article is written by real people rather than some dodgy algorithm!
- 10 Best Hotels
- 7 Best Holiday Homes
- 10 Best Guesthouses
- 9 Best Budget Accommodations
- 10 Best Family Accommodations
For a rundown of the best suburbs to stay, check out Where to Stay in Alofi: The Best Accommodations in Alofi.
Where to Eat in Alofi
One thing that surprises many visitors to Niue is how much of a foodie destination it is. At the centre of it all is Alofi, offering a pleasing selection of foodie activities, from vanilla tours to shops selling Niuean honey produced by the cleanest bees in the world. Not to mention, Alofi has a varied but fantastic selection of restaurants to excite the senses, where each night can take your palette to a new destination with a Pacific twist.
The whole dining situation is laid out in The Food Guide to Niue: Places to Eat & Food Tours; a must-read if you also consider yourself a foodie.
The Best Cafes and Restaurants in Alofi
- Kaiika Restaurant (Main road, Alofi South)
- Fana Cafe (Swanson Complex, Alofi South)
- Crazy Uga Cafe (Main road next to Utuko Reef)
- Vaiolama Cafe (Main road, Alofi South)
- Cafe Tavana (Alofi Commercial Centre)
- Crow’s Nest (Alofi Commercial Centre)
- Vanilla Cafe (Alofi Commercial Centre)
- Manuiz (Main road, Alofi South)
- Katuali Coffee House (Peta Hill, Alofi South)
- Buk Buk Chicken (Alofi Commerical Centre).
See the complete listing of our top dining recommendations in The Best Places to Eat in Alofi: 15 Best Restaurants.
Things to Do in Alofi for Foodies
- Do the Niue Vanilla Plantation Tour
- Browse the Niue Market
- Sample Niuean cuisine at Manuiz‘s umu buffet
- Pick up a pot of Niuean honey
- Catch your own dinner on a fishing charter
- Dine at one of Alofi’s delectable restaurants.
Learn more about each activity in our 12 Best Foodie Experiences in Niue.
Self-Catering in Alofi
Self-catering facilities are available at all of Alofi’s accommodations where visitors can buy groceries from the large supermarket, Swansons Supermarket, as well as from smaller grocery stores in Alofi. Prices are slightly more expensive than what you might experience in New Zealand, Australia and the US. See typical grocery prices in The Cost of Food in Niue: Restaurant & Grocery Prices, as well as more advice for self-catering in A Guide to Supermarkets & Food Shopping in Niue.
Budget Holidays in Alofi
For travellers on a budget, Alofi is arguably the most budget-friendly destination in Niue. With an array of local guesthouses, suitable for backpackers to families, there’s something for all kinds of travellers on a budget. There are also plenty of cheap and even free attractions to keep you busy, from the must-do sea tracks to secluded beaches and coves to the interesting museum and various historical sites. Get advice for making the most of Alofi without blowing your budget in The Backpacking & Budget Travel Guide to Niue.
Things to Do in Alofi on a Budget
- Tackle one of the Alofi sea tracks
- Watch humpback whales and spinner dolphins from the shore
- Visit the Fale Tau Taoga – Niue’s National Museum
- Check out the arts and crafts at the Niue Market, Niue Council of Women and the Tahiono Art Gallery
- See historical sites like Tomb Point and Opaahi.
For a complete list and details on each experience, see the 10 Free & Cheap Things to Do in Alofi.
Where to Stay in Alofi on a Budget
Alofi has quite an abundance of affordable guesthouses and motels. Most of which are run by locals, providing an authentic experience. There are private rooms in guesthouses available, usually with communal facilities, as well as the option to hire out self-contained units and entire guest houses. Find out more in the 10 Best Budget Accommodations in Alofi.
Honeymoons and Romantic Getaways to Alofi
Start the rest of your lives together (or just another romantic holiday) on a beautiful remote island where it will often feel like you’re alone in the world. Alofi is an excellent base for couples looking for the ease of being nearby fabulous restaurants and having access to some of Niue’s top activities. There are also some quaint accommodations for couples in attractive locations to ever remind you that you’re in paradise together. Get tips for your honeymoon or romantic getaway in The Honeymoon & Romantic Getaway Guide to Niue.
Things to Do in Alofi for Couples
- Buddy up on an amazing scuba diving trip
- Find secluded beaches and swimming holes
- Treat your loved one to a romantic dinner
- Cycle the coast and bush trails
- Challenge each other to a game of golf.
For more ideas and details on each experience, see the 10 Most Romantic Things to Do in Niue.
Romantic Accommodations in Alofi
Couples celebrating a special occasion can find a small selection of stunning accommodations to suit them, from premium stone villas to attractive timber-lined units. It seems that wherever you stay, you’ll have your own private deck to enjoy watching romantic sunsets! Check out our top recommendations in the 10 Most Romantic Honeymoon Accommodations in Niue.
Family Holidays in Alofi
Alofi presents a down-to-earth getaway for families in the South Pacific. There are no kids’ clubs and no babysitters, Alofi is about spending time together, educating the little ones on nature and different ways of life, as well as having endless fun! With short family-friendly walks, nature tours and even mini golf, there’s plenty of outdoor fun to be had in Alofi. Learn more in The Travel Guide to Niue for Families.
Things to Do in Alofi with Kids
- Snorkel in the rock pools and a cave at the Vaila Sea Track
- Get some beach time at the Utuko Reef
- Let them loose at the Tufukia Playground
- See cultural performances at the Niue Primary School
- Treat your tribe to some souvenirs at the Niue Market.
For more details of each experience, check out the 20 Best Things to Do in Niue with Kids!
Where to Stay in Alofi with Kids
Families and groups have a choice of family homes turned holiday homes with space for the whole tribe and all the essential amenities. There are also self-contained motel units and two-bedroom villas suitable for families of four. Check out your best options in the 10 Best Family Accommodations in Alofi.
Luxury Holidays in Alofi
While Alofi is not a destination of glitz and glam, it does provide some of the best quality experiences when it comes to scuba diving, whale swimming and fishing. That’s all due to the sustainability policies observed on the island, as well as the unbelievably clear water! To complement your stay, there is a small selection of modern villas and studios that are the standard of 3-4-star accommodation. Plan your luxury getaway with The Luxury Travel Guide to Niue.
Luxury Activities in Alofi
- Dive among some of the clearest waters
- Swim with humpback whales or spinner dolphins
- Try your luck on an exciting fishing charter
- Indulge in fresh seafood at one of the outstanding restaurants
- Get greater insight into Niue on an orientation tour.
For more information on each activity, see the 10 Most Luxurious Experiences in Niue.
Where to Stay in Alofi
Alofi is home to a small selection of modern villas and studios suitable for the discerning traveller. Alofi’s luxury accommodations have attractive features, from Niuean limestone villas nestled in bush to studios boasting commanding views from the clifftops. Check out your options in the 10 Best Luxury Accommodations in Niue.
Child-Free Holidays in Alofi
As adult-only getaways are becoming more and more popular in the South Pacific, it’s a concept that is hardly needed in Alofi. With only around 160-180 tourists in Niue at one time, only a handful are families that are spread across the island far and wide. Needless to say, an undisturbed experience of Alofi and Niue is effortless. Nevertheless, if you absolutely have to ensure some adults-only time, then check out the appropriate activities and accommodations in The Child-Free (Adults-Only) Travel Guide to Niue.
Things to Do in Alofi for Adults
- Tackle some of the South Pacific’s largest fish on a fishing charter
- Enjoy sundowners at one of the Alofi bars
- Discover the crystal clear underwater world on a scuba diving trip
- Hit the mountain biking trails
- Retreat to your adults-only accommodation.
Where to Stay in Alofi
Admittedly, there is only one accommodation that has a child policy, which is Petite Hatava. The accommodation only has two units and it is out of town, so tranquillity isn’t too hard to find anywhere, but the accommodation only allows guests over the age of 12. The Restoration Reef is a holiday home-style accommodation secluded on a clifftop, which, again is peaceful as an accommodation but is also advertised as “not suitable for children”.
Alternatives to adults-only accommodation at holiday homes, which you can browse in the 7 Best Holiday Homes in Alofi.
More About Alofi
That’s it for the complete travel guide to Alofi. For more Alofi wisdom, check out the following guides:
- 10 Best Walks in Alofi
- 9 Best Sea Tracks in Alofi
- The Best Places to Eat in Alofi
- The Best Day Trips from Alofi
- 20 Best Things to Do in Alofi