What Services are Available in Niue?
Niue is a small and remote island in the South Pacific. There is a population of only around 1,600 in the whole country, so needless to say, the shops and services offering is limited. Nevertheless, if you need to run some errands, are looking for where to go to get information during your visit, or something else, then this guide to the information, shops and services in Niue should point you in the right direction.
For more information on visiting Niue, be sure to check out The Complete Guide to Niue.
Useful Services for Tourists
- Tourist Information Centre, the main road between the Commercial Centre and the Niue Market, Alofi
- Car rentals – See The Best Car Rentals in Niue for listings
- Restaurants & cafes – See the Guide to the Best Eats & Restaurants in Niue for listings
- Niue Yacht Club – Behind the Commercial Centre, Alofi
- Police Station – Corner of the main road and Alofi-Liku Road, Alofi
- Telecom Niue – Commercial Centre, Alofi, learn more about the phone networks and internet in Niue here
- Air New Zealand office – Swanson Supermarket complex, Tapeu-Porritt Road
- Peleni’s Travel Agency – Swanson Supermarket complex, Tapeu-Porritt Road
- Public toilets – Alofi Commercial Centre car park, Swanson Supermarket complex car park, Tamakautoga Sea Track, Avaiki, Avatele Beach, Kalaone, Limu Pools, Matapa Chasm and Togo Chasm.
Shops in Niue
Niue’s shops are mostly found in the main town, Alofi, as well as the shopping complex where the large Swanson Supermarket is located, nearby Hanan Airport. Shops are typically open Monday to Saturday.
- Swanson Supermarket, Tapeu-Porritt Road (near the airport)
- Double M, Alofi Commercial Centre
- Moko’s Central Mart (MCM), Alofi Commercial Centre
- Central Services (Gas Station), Alofi South
- Rockbak Bakery, Huihui Road (near the airport)
- Rolling Pin Bakery, inside the Swanson Supermarket
- Ilena’s Bakery, next to BJ Hardware near the Swanson Supermarket complex
Niue Bond Store, in the Swanson Supermarket complex near the airport. Duty-free shopping is available – see Duty-Free Shopping in Niue for more information.
The Niue Market, located on the main road of Alofi next to the Tourist Information Centre, runs Mondays and Fridays 5am-8am and Wednesdays 8am-midday. An organic market takes place on the first Friday of each month from 5pm.
Art and Gift Shops
- Niue Vanilla, Corner of the Alofi main road and Alofi-Liku Road
- Tahiono Art Gallery, Alofi Commerical Centre
- Hinapoto Handicrafts, Alofi Commercial Centre
- Taoke Prints, Alofi Commercial Centre
- South Seas Trader Stationary, Alofi Commercial Centre
- Kendra’s Kollection, Swanson Supermarket complex
- Kauhi Krafts, Avatele
BJ Hardware is located near the Swanson Supermarket complex, selling building supplies, homeware and all sorts of everyday essentials.
Medical Services in Niue
Niue does not have a pharmacy. Basic medical supplies are for sale in the Swanson Supermarket. For more serious health issues, medication and healthcare services are available at Niue Foou Hospital located in Kaimiti, which is a 10-minute drive from Alofi town centre. Charges apply for medical services.
Friday, 9am-10am and 7pm-8pm
Weekends and public holidays, 9am-10am and 7pm-8pm
Hospital phone number: 4100
Emergency phone number: 999
Fuel Station and Police Station in Niue
For visitors hiring a car in Niue, the fuel station and the Police Station are essential services.
The Police Station in Alofi is where visitors purchase a Niue Driver’s License. The Police Station is located on the corner of the main road and Alofi-Hakupu/Liku Road.
The Police Station is open Monday to Thursday, 8am-4pm. The Police phone number is 4333 and the Emergency number is 999.
The Central Services Petrol Station is the one and only gas station on the island of Niue. It is open Monday to Saturday, 7am-8pm, and on Sundays, 4pm-8pm. The fuel station also sells basic essentials, drinks, pies, bread and sometimes fruit and vegetables.
Bank and Post Office in Niue
Niue has one bank, Kiwibank, located in the Commercial Centre of Alofi. Kiwibank is open Monday to Friday, 8.30am-6pm and on a Saturday 12pm-6pm. This is also the location of Niue Post where you can purchase stamps and send parcels. There is a post box just outside of the building. There is also a post box also in the Tourist Information Centre.
There are no ATMs or currency exchange outlets in Niue, but you can withdraw local currency from Kiwibank.
Other outlets offering cash withdrawals include Niue Rentals (Alofi North), Swanson Supermarket (near the airport), Double M (Alofi Commercial Centre) and the Bond Store (Swanson Supermarket complex).
For more information on managing money in Niue, see What is the Currency of Niue?