Where to Get Fuel in Niue
As renting a car is the top recommendation for transport in Niue, not only because it offers the ultimate freedom but because there’s not much other choice, knowing about fuelling up in Niue is essential. There is only one gas station in Niue. It’s called Central Services. With that, the rest of this guide will go through the Central Services Petrol Station’s location, opening hours, other services offered, as well as advice for fuelling up in Niue.
Niue’s Gas Station Opening Hours
Aside from knowing where the gas station in Niue is (which we’ll get to), it’s important to know when it is open so you can plan when to get fuel accordingly. Note that Niue’s gas station has very limited opening hours on Sundays.
Central Services Opening Hours
Monday to Saturday: 7 am to 7 pm
Sunday: 4 pm to 7 pm.
For more information about Niue’s shops, services and opening hours, see Information, Shops & Services in Niue.
Where is the Gas Station in Niue?
The one gas station in Niue, Central Services, can be found in Niue’s main town and capital, Alofi.
Find the gas station in Alofi South, located on the main road opposite Alofi Rentals and nearby the Vaiolama Cafe. It is on the side of the road nearest to the coast.
Driving Distances to the Gas Station
- From Hanan Airport: 2 km / 1.2 mi
- From the Tamakautoga: 7 km / 4.3 mi
- From Avatele: 9 km / 5.6 mi
- From Hakupu: 14 km / 8.7 mi
- From Liku: 16 km / 9.9 mi
- From Lakepa: 16 km / 9.9 mi
- From Mutalau: 19 km / 11.8 mi
- From Namakulu: 10 km / 6.2 mi
- From Tuapa: 9.5 km / 5.9 mi
- From Makefu: 7.5 km / 4.7 mi.
For more driving times around the island, see The Driving Times in Niue You Need to Know.
7 Tips for Fuelling Up in Niue
Filling up the tank in Niue is quite simple, but there are just a few things to bear in mind:
- There is only one gas station in Niue
- Make sure you have enough gas before doing a road trip around the island (the main coastal road is 64 km/40 mi)
- The gas station in Niue is fully serviced, i.e. an attendant will fill up your car for you
- There are no diesel rental cars – you will need to fill up your car with petrol
- The gas station only accepts cash, credit card and New Zealand bank cards – see What is the Best Way to Pay in Niue?
- Note that the gas station has limited hours on a Sunday: 4 pm to 7 pm.
- You are required to fill up your fuel tank before returning your rental car.
Other Services at Central Services
Like most gas stations around the world, Central Services offers more than just petrol.
Other goods on sale include:
- Cold drinks
- Hot pies
- Fresh bread and other baked goods
- Local fruit and vegetables
- Dry and tinned food goods.
Note that Central Services accepts New Zealand bank cards, credit cards and cash only. Learn more about payment methods in Niue in What is the Best Way to Pay in Niue?
For more on where to get your food essentials, take a look at The Guide to Supermarkets & Food Shopping in Niue.
More About the Gas Station in Niue
That’s it for our quick guide to the gas station in Niue. For more essential driving tips, take a look at the following:
- How to Get a Niue Driver’s License
- How to Drive in Niue + 10 Road Rules You Need to Know
- The 7 Best Car Rentals in Niue
Finally, if there’s anything we’ve missed, you’re likely to find it in What You Need to Hire a Car in Niue.