The Complete Guide to Hiring a Car in Niue
As rental cars are just about the only way to get around “The Rock”, this guide to car hire in Niue is an essential guide for most travellers. Hiring a car is the best way to get between Niue’s stunning sea tracks and snorkelling spots. But what do you need to hire a car in Niue? Find out in this complete guide to car hire in Niue, including where to hire, the cost, road rules and other essential tips!
What Do You Need to Hire a Car in Niue?
There are two main requirements needed for hiring a car in Niue relating to the driver’s age and driving license.
How Old Do You Need to Be to Hire a Car in Niue?
Drivers must meet the minimum age requirements of the car rental company, which in Niue is no younger than 21 years old.
The Niue Driver’s License
Although not required to pick up a rental vehicle in Niue, visitors must obtain a Niue Driver’s License from the Police Station in order to legally drive in Niue. You can drive on your overseas driving license when you first arrive in Niue, but you will need to get a Niue Driver’s License as soon as you can. Learn more about the process in How to Get a Niue Driver’s License.
More on the driver’s license requirements can be found in Can You Drive in Niue With an Overseas License?
Where to Hire a Car in Niue
For a small country, Niue has a lot of options when it comes to car rentals. Not only are there around seven car rental companies, but some accommodations offer car rentals to guests.
Car rental companies make picking up your vehicle easy by offering complimentary delivery to Hanan Airport, as well as any other accommodation on the island.
Car Rental Companies in Niue
The car rental companies in Niue include:
- Niue Rentals
- Niue Rock Rentals
- Niue 4×4 Rentals
- Denzel Rentals
- Alofi Rentals
- Ilena’s Rentals
- Heahea Rentals
Find out more about our top picks in The 7 Best Car Rentals in Niue.
Accommodation Offering Car Rental
A car is offered to hire for guests of the following accommodations, either independently or working with local car rental operators:
- NIC’s Bungalows (included in the nightly rate)
- Aliutu Guesthouse (additional daily rate)
- Stone Villas (included in nightly rate)
- Aleki Guesthouse (small additional daily rate)
- Nana’s Chalet (small additional daily rate).
Learn more about these accommodations in the 5 Accommodations in Niue with Car Rental.
How to Book Car Rentals in Niue
It’s true, not many car rental companies have websites. Therefore, the best places to book car rentals in Niue are over the phone, via email or Facebook Messenger or at the Visitor Information Centre or Scenic Matavai Resort after arrival. Learn more about booking with local tourism operators in our guide, How to Book Tours & Experiences in Niue.
The Vehicles You Can Hire in Niue
A wide range of vehicle types can be hired in Niue, from budget compact cars to minibuses to motorcycles. Car rental companies in Niue are known for maintaining vehicles well and even the oldest vehicles tend to be reliable – if there are any troubles, operators often come to meet you to offer their own “roadside assistance”.
Vehicles available to hire in Niue include:
- Compact cars, such as Mazda Demio, Nissan Note, Toyota Passo, Toyota IST or similar
- Medium cars, such as Toyota OPA, Toyota Wish or similar
- Station wagons, such as Nissan Wingroad, Mazda MPV or similar
- 4WDs, such as Toyota RAV4, Mitsubishi Pajero or similar
- People-movers, such as Toyota VOXY, Toyota Estima or similar
- Minibuses, such as Nissan Caravan, Toyota Hiace or similar
- Motorcycles, such as Suzuki 125cc, Honda Shadow 150cc or similar, see The Guide to Renting a Motorbike in Niue
- Mountain bikes, see Cycle Niue: Where to Rent Bikes in Niue.
We list all of the vehicle models in our car rental comparisons, starting with the 7 Best Car Rentals in Niue.
Do You Need a 4×4 in Niue?
Most tourists do not need a 4×4 in Niue. Although the main roads around and across the island do have some large potholes, these can be managed in 2WD vehicles as long as care is taken (it’s usually best to drive slowly and try to avoid potholes if you can). Some sea tracks, especially on the east coast, have short access roads that are only recommended for 4WD vehicles. On the other hand, because these access roads tend to be only around 1 km (0.6 mi) long, walking them is also an option.
The Cost of Car Rentals in Niue
Car rentals in Niue can be very affordable. Each rental vehicle in Niue has a day rate, while other associated costs may include insurance excess reducers in some rare instances. Additional mandatory costs include the Niue Driver’s License, fuel, as well as fees if you don’t return the vehicle with a full fuel tank, return the vehicle late or make any other breaches of the rental agreement. However, roadside assistance, drop-off and pick-up anywhere, standard insurance (sometimes), child/baby seats and unlimited kilometres are usually free of charge.
Day Rates for Car Rentals in Niue
- Compact car/day – NZ$50-$60
- Mid-range car/day – NZ$60-$100
- Premium car/day – NZ$65-$125
- Minibus/People-mover/day – NZ$85-$200
- Motorcycle/day – NZ$45-$55
Additional Costs of Renting a Car in Niue
- Petrol/litre – NZ$3.50+
- Diesel/litre – NZ$3.70+
- Niue Driver’s License – NZ$22.50
- Airport delivery – FREE
- Accommodation delivery – FREE
- Additional driver/day – NZ$0-$10
- Insurance/day – NZ$0-$25
- Baby seat/day – FREE
- Unlimited kilometres – FREE
- Roadside assistance – FREE (if available)
- Bond (refundable) – NZ$300-$500
- Credit card fee – 3-5% of the payment total.
Other Things to Know About Car Rental in Niue
Just a few more things to know about hiring a vehicle in Niue are as follows:
- You need to be at least 21 years old to hire a car in Niue
- You can only hire what your driving license is classed for. For instance, you cannot hire a motorcycle without a motorcycle license
- Car rental companies require credit card details as security (Visa or MasterCard)
- Rental cars must be returned with a full tank of fuel or else you will be charged
- There is one fuel station in Niue
- Most rental car agreements prohibit you from going down any bush roads or dirt tracks in Niue, which includes 4WD cars
- Niue’s return process for many rental cars is very simple: park up your car at the agreed return location and leave your keys in the ignition.
And for tips on how to shave the cents off your car rental, take a look at the 10 Ways to Save Money on Car Rental in Niue.
Hitting the Road
The fun begins when you put your keys in the ignition. However, be aware that Niue’s roads will have different rules than what you are used to. Make sure that you are aware of the traffic laws to keep yourself safe, as well as not have to pay for damages to your car rental.
Important Road Rules to Remember
- Drive on the left side of the road
- The speed limit is 40 km/h in villages
- The speed limit is 60 km/h on the open road
- Slow down behind cyclists and only pass when safe giving at least 1.5 m (5 ft) between you and the cyclist
- Motorcycle helmets are compulsory
- Stop at the stop signs
- Don’t park on the yellow lines in Alofi
- Don’t do a U-turn at any intersections or at the Government building
- Respect “No Parking” signs
- Don’t park on roadside graves.
More About What You Need to Hire a Car in Niue
That’s it for our guide to hiring a car in Niue. For more car rental tips, check out the following guide:
- 10 Safety Tips for Driving in Niue
- The Driving Times in Niue You Need to Know
- 10 Ways to Save Money on Car Rental in Niue
Finally, compare renting a vehicle with more ways to get around Niue using the Niue Transport Guide: 10 Best Ways to Get Around Niue.