The Ultimate Niue Packing List
Despite popular belief, packing is not a chore, it’s a great way to see how little you need to go on with life! We like to think of it as a way to get some perspective on possessions. But we’re not here for a philosophy course. We’re here to list what clothes, toiletries, accessories, gadgets and more you need to pack for Niue. Our complete packing list for Niue will cover it all in detail so just follow the bullet points and you’ll be on your way in no time!
Oh! And check out Everything You Need to Know About Arriving in Niue, which should also be helpful to you!
Packing Tips for Niue
- The Air New Zealand baggage allowance for check-in luggage for Niue is only 23kg (50lbs) so pack light to avoid excess baggage fees
- It is best to pack one outfit for each day if staying one week and about 7-9 outfits if staying two weeks, you’ll be able to use your accommodation laundry facilities mid-way through your trip and avoid overpacking
- If you pack anything that you need to declare when entering Niue, make a note of it so you remember to declare it on the Passenger Arrival Card
- We love packing cubes – consider getting some to help organise your suitcase with ease
- Pack early! If you’re missing something and need to get it online, you want to have enough time for it to be delivered.
For more tips, head to 10 Packing Tips for Niue.
Clothes Packing List for Niue
It’s hot in Niue, real hot! With temperatures almost never below 24°C (75°F) during the day and 21°C (70°F) in the evening, there is little need to pack a ton of layers. Still, being a South Pacific island, the country can experience unpredictable weather so we’ve thrown a few extra items on the list, “just in case”.
Clothes-wise, we advise you to only pack what you need. For instance, if you are travelling for a week, only pack for seven days and if travelling longer, consider using the laundry facility of your accommodation to reuse some of your outfits and keep your suitcase or backpack light.
Niue Casual Clothing Packing List
- Dresses/skirts below the knee to use during village visits
- Light shirts/T-shirts to cover the shoulders to use during village visits
- Sarong (paleu) to use during village visits
- Light sleepwear
- Light jacket/cardigan/pashmina for cooler evenings
Niue Swimwear Packing List
- Rash vest (for sun protection)
Niue Sun, Rain and Insect Protection Packing List
- Light cotton shirt to cover arms
- Light rain jacket
- UV protection top
- Insect repellent top
Niue Footwear Packing List
- Walking shoes/sandals
- Reef shoes
For a more comprehensive packing list for Niue, refer to our article on What Clothes to Pack for Niue.
Travel Accessories and Gadgets Packing List For Niue
Because we are light packers, we consider most travel accessories below not really essentials for a trip to Niue. In fact, whatever we deemed essential will be in the list labelled “essentials”. So the lists below are very much pick-and-choose. Whatever you feel matches your travel style can be packed and whatever is not “you” can be left behind. We’ve got a list of Must-Have Gadgets for Niue at the ready if you are looking for inspiration.
Travel Essentials Packing List
- Visa (if you need one)
- Plane boarding pass/booking paperwork
- Travel ticket/booking paperwork for travel out of Niue
- Accommodation booking paperwork for your stay in Niue
- Driver license/International Driver Permit (if you are planning on renting a car)
- Credit card
- Cash – Niue uses New Zealand currency and it is best to have enough cash for your stay
Niue Travel Accessories/Gadgets Packing List
- Snorkel gear (usually better to have your own. Otherwise, they are available to hire in Niue)
- Beach/travel towel
- Waterproof camera
- Chargers for electronic devices
- Type 1 travel adapter (that’s the NZ/Australia adapter)
- Lifestraw water bottle
- Floating waterproof phone pouch
- Hanging luggage scale
- Waterproof wallet
- Solar-powered battery pack
Niue Travel Accessories/Gadgets Packing List for Kids
- Baby mosquito net
- Waterproof kids camera
- Go!: Kids Interactive Travel Diary to make their trip a fun and educational experience
- Reusable swim diaper training pants
- GPS tracker/child locator
- Travel games
- Travel stroller
- Portable steriliser
- Baby formula
Check out our list of 10 Gadgets for Kids to Take to Niue for more on the subject and our take on each item on the list above.
Toiletries and Medication Packing List for Niue
This list is the most personal list of this article. Every traveller has different habits when it comes to toiletries and medication. Plus, depending on what type of accommodation you choose to use, you may be provided with toiletries to help you pack lighter still!
With Niue being a tropical country, you will want to pack yourself a decent first aid kit to help you deal with the most unfortunate of circumstances. We have put together a full article on Medications to Pack in Your First Aid Kit for Niue.
Niue First Aid Kit Packing List
- Travel passport (this is the piece of paper that keeps track of your vaccinations)
- Antihistamine pills or cream
- Oral rehydration sachets (medical electrolytes)
- Baby electrolytes
- Antidiarrhoeal pills e.g. loperamide
- Nasal drops
- Disinfectant wipes
- Elastic wraps
- Antisceptic cream/spray
- Hydrocortisone cream
- Aloe vera soothing cream
- A copy of the emergency numbers for Niue
- Antibiotics if going to remote areas – discuss with your GP first.
Niue Toiletries and Other Medication Packing List
- SPF lip balm
- Insect repellent
- Seasickness pills
- Prescription medication
- Shampoo/conditioner (if not staying in resort/hotel)
- Feminine hygiene products
- Soap (if not staying in resort/hotel)
- Razor/hair removal device
- Glasses/contact lenses
- Nail clippers
- Hand sanitiser
For more health tips, see How to Stay Safe in Niue.
What Type of Luggage to Use for Niue
Now that you’ve got a massive pile of clothes, gadgets and pills on top of your bed, it’s time to fit it all into your luggage. But first, it is important to pick the right luggage for your needs. Because we love to be thorough, we’ve created an article on What is the Best Type Of Luggage for Niue so you can compare all of the options in detail. The main point, however, is to pick something that will fit in with your travel style. There are actually a lot of options and it is likely that you will end up travelling with more than just one luggage.
Luggage to Take to Niue
- Day pack that fits the carry-on Air New Zealand allowance (55cm x 40cm x 23cm / 21″ x 15″ x 9″)
- Small purse/camera bag
- Packing Cubes because they make your life so much easier!