What Services are Available in Alofi?
Alofi is the capital of Niue and the main hub when it comes to information, shops and services. However, not all of the essential services are found in Alofi, as many are located near the airport a short drive from town. Check out our Information, Shops & Services in Niue for a complete guide of listings. Nevertheless, if you’re looking for something in particular in Alofi, then this guide to the information, shops and services in Alofi should help.
For more information about Alofi, head over to The Complete Guide to Alofi.
Useful Services for Tourists
- Tourist Information Centre, the main road between the Commercial Centre and the Niue Market
- Car Rentals – See The Best Car Rentals in Niue for listings
- Restaurants & Cafes – See the Guide to the Best Eats & Restaurants in Alofi for listings
- Niue Yacht Club – Behind the Commercial Centre
- Police Station – Corner of the main road and Alofi-Hakupu Road
- Telecom Niue – Commercial Centre, learn more about the phone networks and internet in Niue here
Shops in Alofi
Alofi has a good selection of convenience store-sized grocery stores, a morning market, as well as arts and gift shops. More shops can be around Niue, especially more supermarket and hardware stores on Tapeu-Porritt Road near the airport. See the Information, Shops & Services in Niue for these listings.
- Double M, Alofi Commercial Centre
- Moko’s Central Mart (MCM), Alofi Commercial Centre
- Central Services (Gas Station), Alofi South
The Niue Market, located on the main road of Alofi next to the Tourist Information Centre, runs Mondays and Fridays 5am-8am and Wednesdays 8am to midday. An organic market takes place on the first Friday of each month at 5pm.
Art and Gift Shops
- Niue Vanilla, Corner of the main road and Alofi-Hakupu/Liku Road
- Tahiono Art Gallery, Commerical Centre
- Hinapoto Handicrafts, Commercial Centre
- Taoke Prints, Commercial Centre
- South Seas Trader Stationary, Commercial Centre
Medical Services in Alofi
Alofi has no pharmacy or medical services in town. The closest medical service is the Niue Foou Hospital located in Kaimiti, which is a 10-minute drive from Alofi town centre.
Friday, 9am-10am and 7pm-8pm
Weekends and public holidays, 9am-10am and 7pm-8pm
Hospital phone number: 4100
Emergency phone number: 999
Fuel Station and Police Station in Alofi
For visitors hiring a car, the fuel station and the Police Station are going to be useful to you.
Hopefully, the only reason you will need to go to the Police Station in Alofi is to purchase a Niue Driver’s License. The Police Station is located on the corner of the main road and Alofi-Hakupu/Liku Road.
The Police Station is open Monday to Thursday, 8am-4pm. The Police phone number is 4333 and the Emergency number is 999.
The Central Services Petrol Station is the one and only gas station on the island of Niue. It is open Monday to Saturday, 7am-8pm, and on Sundays, 4pm-8pm. The fuel station also sells basic essentials, drinks, pies, bread and sometimes fruit and vegetables.
Bank and Post Office in Alofi
Niue has one bank, Kiwibank, located in the Commercial Centre. Kiwibank is open Monday to Friday, 8.30am-6pm and on a Saturday 12pm-6pm. This is also the location of Niue Post where you can purchase stamps and send parcels. There is a post box just outside of the building. There is a post box also in the Tourist Information Centre.
There are no ATMs or currency exchange outlets in Niue, but you can withdraw local currency from Kiwibank.
Other outlets offering cash withdrawals include Niue Rentals (Alofi North), Swanson Supermarket (near the airport), Double M (Commercial Centre) and the Bond Store (near the airport).
For more information on managing money in Niue, see What is the Currency of Niue?