What is the Weather Like in Niue in February?
Branded the “wet season”, February in Niue is uncrowded, very sunny and the water is at its warmest. What’s not to like?! If you can survive high heat broken up by a few refreshing showers, you will be rewarded with impressive sunsets and share the whole country with under one hundred other travellers a week.
If you are a backpacker looking for a remote place on Earth or if you are a couple looking for quiet time away from large resorts, you’ve got the right country and the right month. In this guide, we will cover everything you need to know about the Niue weather in February including precipitation, temperatures, sun hours and much more.
Before we dive into this weather guide to Niue in February, be sure to bookmark Niue Weather by Month: What is the Weather Like in Niue? and The Best Time to Visit Niue for more climate advice.
6 Tips For Travelling Niue in February
- Wearing high-factor reef-safe sunscreen is a must as the UV level are extremely high in Niue in February
- February is one of the quietest points of the low season, so look out for cheap flights and accommodation deals such as “buy 3 nights get 3 nights free”
- If the high heat scares you, rest assured that the short rainfall, air-conditioned rooms, warm pools, turquoise waters and yummy cocktails will help cool you down
- We’ve prepared a few tips to help manage mosquitos in Niue which depending on the year, can be more active in February in Niue
- Keep an eye out for Waitangi Day (February 6), which is a public holiday in Niue and almost nothing will be open aside from your hotel. It is best to plan a self-guided tour on that day
- Whatever the season, look out for rough sea warnings issued by the Niue Met Service and National Disaster Management Office via radio or their Facebook Pages; these are usually days to avoid swimming.
Typical Temperatures in February
February is one of the warmest months in Niue with a maximum average temperature of 29°C / 84°F and a minimum average temperature of 25°C / 77°F which usually happens at night. The hot and humid days are sometimes broken with short warm rainfall.
Temperatures in Alofi
- Average maximum temperature: 29°C / 84°F
- Average temperature: 27°C / 81°F
- Average minimum temperature: 25°C / 77°F
Sea Temperature in February
Along with the warmest air temperatures of the year, February also offers the warmest seas of the year with an average sea temperature of 28°C / 82°F. In worth words, going from dry to wet and vice versa is seamless!
Hours of Sun in February
Along with the wet season comes some of the longest and brightest sun hours Niue has to offer. Expect long days and very high-intensity sun – not a bad combo to make the most of your trip to Niue. The average daylight in February in Niue is 13 hours and the sunshine hours easily reach 5.5 hours with some days reaching 6.5 hours of bright sunshine.
UV Levels During February
The UV levels in February range from 11 to 12 on the UV index. This extreme level of UV comes with fast-burning skin, especially for the palest of travellers. Make sure to keep on top of your sunscreen and maybe even consider UV protection clothing. A great tip is to put an alarm on your phone every two hours to remind you to reapply sunscreen!
To help with the types of sunscreen you may need for Niue, we have created a list of The Best Sunscreens for Kids and even a list of Eco Reef-Safe Sunscreens if you are looking to take care of the local reefs (and yourself) while on your trip.
Sunrise and Sunset During February
February offers an average of 13 hours of daylight.
- Sunrise: 6:05 am at the beginning of January and 6:20 am at the end of February
- Sunset: 7:00 pm at the beginning of January and 6:45 pm at the end of February.
Rainfall in February
Your trip to Niue in February will be punctuated with short warm rainfall, but you will find them more than welcome since the temperatures are so high. The rain episodes can be so short that it sometimes is not even worth unpacking your rain jacket. Due to the tiny size of the island nation, the clouds leave as fast as they come.
Niue receives an average of 250 mm / 9.8 in of rainfall in February with an average of 17 days out of the month of February experiencing some rain.
Rainfall in Alofi
- Average rainfall in February: 250 mm / 9.8 in
- Average rain days: 17.
Tropical Storms in February
The South Pacific cyclone season starts in November and ends in April, making February a month with a higher risk of tropical storms. On average, less than 1 day in February in Niue is affected by tropical storms.
Historically, Niue was affected by a tropical cyclone in February in 1941, 1944, 1956, 1957, 1958 and 1968. In more recent history, Cyclone Ofa caused considerable damage causing power cuts and contaminating drinking water in February 1990, Cyclone Winston caused heavy swells to crash on the coasts in February 2016, and Cyclone Gita caused weather alerts to be raised in February 2018.
Regardless, Niue is well prepared for this kind of natural event as is shown by the very limited lives lost during the Category 5 Cyclone Heta in 2004. In the eventuality of a warning being issued, your accommodation or tour staff will escort you to safe zones on higher ground and issue instructions.
See How to Prepare for a Cyclone in Niue for more information.
The Best Things to Do in February
Experiencing Niue in February is all about making the most of the sun when you’ve got it and making the most of the rain when it comes. This means that a good balance between land activities and water activities is the best way to approach a trip in February. Luckily, from boat excursions to sea caves and chasms, this balance is exactly what Niue does best.
Snorkelling – The warm February waters are just too inviting to pass on. Join a snorkelling tour or (after checking the tide’s time) head to one of the dozens of snorkelling spots. One of the most popular spots is the Limu Pools. Plus, with February being the low season, you may get the whole place to yourself.
Caving – Escape the rain, run for the cave! Although Niue has multiple caves that are worth visiting, don’t expect extreme spelunking. Most of them are just a stroll amongst the sea-carved caves that you can tackle yourself. If you are a bit more adventurous and are looking for a more in-depth cave experience, hop on a guided tour and you’ll be shown places very rarely visited.
Road Trip – There are many sea tracks, caves and coves to explore. One of the great ways to explore Niue in February is to rent a car and drive around. Each time it rains, head for your car and by the time you’re at your next spot, the sun will be shining again. Remember, even crossing the island is only 30 minutes drive!
If that’s enough, take a look at the 101 Things to Do in Niue: The Ultimate List.
February Packing List for Niue
Because Niue can be so unpredictable in February, it can be a bit daunting to start packing, so we’ve got you covered with the essentials below:
- High-factor reef-safe sunscreen
- Light bamboo, linen or merino layers (we like the sustainable bamboo clothing of Moso Morrow)
- Light long-sleeved tops (to cover from sun and mosquitoes)
- Light pants/trousers (to cover the knees when appropriate – church service, etc.)
- Insect repellent
- Rash vest (we like the UV-protecting Sharkskin rashies)
- Rain jacket or travel-sized umbrella
- Closed walking shoes
- Reef shoes
- Sarong (paleu) or other light clothing to wear over your swimwear when passing through villages – see What are the Local Customs in Niue? for more information.
If you’re already packing your bag, it may be worth it to check out our comprehensive packing list, The Complete Packing List for Niue, so you know you’ve got it all.
More About the Weather in Niue in February
That’s it for our complete guide to the weather and climate in Niue in February. Check out the following articles for more weather advice:
- Niue Weather, Seasons & Climate + Niue Weather by Month
- The Best Time to Visit Niue: A Month-by-Month Guide
- Niue Weather in January
- Niue Weather in March
- Niue Weather in April
Finally, enjoy a comprehensive guide to planning a trip to Niue in The Best Niue Travel Guide: Plan a Trip to Niue the EASY Way.