What is the Weather Like in Niue in March?
March is the middle of the wet season in Niue and, as such, it is subject to the highest amount of rainfall. But wait! All hope is not lost as most rainfall patterns are heavy but short, making March one of the months with the highest rate of bright sunshine hours. If this contraction does not put you off and you can think on your feet with the ever-changing weather, then March is a splendid time to visit Niue. It is the lowest tourist season, making for great bargains to be had and an uncrowded trip. Plus, with such hot tropical weather, the short bursts of rainfall are a great way to keep cool while on a walk or not be bothered by it at all while in the water snorkelling or scuba diving.
In this guide, we will go in-depth on what you can expect from the Niue weather in March including temperature, precipitation, UV levels and much more. But before that, be sure to bookmark Niue Weather by Month: What is the Weather Like in Niue? and The Best Time to Visit Niue for more climate advice.
7 Tips for Travelling Niue in March
- Be aware that the kaloama season can start in March, which means some sea tracks will close during the season
- Grab a deal! March is the quietest tourist month of the year in Niue therefore, you can expect great accommodation and flight deals!
- Go nuts on the sunscreen, as the UV levels are very high and you will need the extra protection
- Niue celebrates Good Friday (usually the last Friday of March) as a public holiday. You will need to plan around this as most businesses will close on that day. Plan a self-guided tour and have a meal in your hotel rather than in town, for instance. Plus, check if Easter Monday falls on your trip as it is religiously observed too
- It is true that Niue can get really hot and humid in March. As such, most accommodations are equipped with air conditioning systems or ceiling fans for pleasant nights
- Mosquitos are more active during the wet season which includes March, so we advise you to pack accordingly. Check out our Tips to Avoid Mosquito Bites in Niue for more information
- Whatever the season, look out for rough sea warnings issued by the Niue Met Service and National Disaster Management Office via radio or their Facebook Pages; these are usually days to avoid swimming.
Typical Temperatures in March
March in Niue offers some of the warmest weather the country has to offer. Expect hot days of up to 29°C / 84°F interrupted by short warm rainfalls and cooler nights of 24°C / 75°F. The high temperatures make for a truly tropical experience!
Temperatures in Alofi
- Average maximum temperature: 29°C / 84°F
- Average temperature: 27°C / 81°F
- Average minimum temperature: 24°C / 75°F
Sea Temperature in March
Since Niue is known for snorkelling and scuba diving, the warm March sea temperatures very much compensate for the extra rain. After all, once in the water, it does not really matter if it rains, even for visibility as Niue has very limited surface run-off. Expect sea temperatures of around 28°C / 82°F throughout the month which makes it for an absolute bliss of a dive.
Hours of Sun in March
The wet season in Niue does have its advantages. For example, it is during the wet season that you can experience the longest days and the highest number of sunshine hours. In March, you will be treated to long days and intense sun. Expect the average daylight in February in Niue to be about 12 hours and the sunshine hours to reach 6.5 hours per day.
UV Levels During March
It does not get higher than March UV-wise in Niue. With the UV index sometimes showing 12 (which is classed as “extreme”), you can expect the sun to be at its highest – you’ll tan in seconds! This means that you will need to apply sunscreen regularly even if there are clouds in the sky.
If you are into coral preservation (after all, they are the lungs of our planet!) check out our List of Reef-Safe Sunscreens. We also have a list of sunscreens specially designed to protect kids’ skins.
Sunrise and Sunset During March
In March, you can expect an average of 12 hours of daylight.
- Sunrise: 6:20 am at the beginning of January and 6:25 am at the end of March
- Sunset: 6:45 pm at the beginning of January and 6:20 pm at the end of March.
Rainfall in March
In March, Niue usually experiences its highest amount of rain. But do not let those high numbers scare you, as the rainfall may be intense but they are often really short. Plus, with the extremely high temperatures, the rain is actually quite warm and very much welcomed to cool you down. It’s a truly tropical experience! It is worth packing a rain jacket when travelling to Niue in March (or your accommodation may provide an umbrella), although in some cases, the rainfall may already be over by the time to unpack it.
You can expect an average of 322 mm / 12.7 in of rainfall in Niue in March. That’s an average of 18 days of the month experiencing some rainfall.
Rainfall in Alofi
- Average rainfall in March: 322 mm / 12.7 in
- Average rain days: 18.
Tropical Storms in March
The South Pacific cyclone season starts in November and ends in April, making February a month with a higher risk of tropical storms. On average, less than 1 day in February in Niue is affected by tropical storms.
Historically, Niue experienced the effects of a cyclone in March 1941 and 1963.
The good news is that Niue is well prepared for this kind of natural event. This was shown by the very limited lives lost during Category 5 Cyclone Heta in 2004. If a warning is being issued during your stay, your accommodation or tour staff will escort you to safe zones on higher ground and issue instructions.
For more information and advice, check out How to Prepare for a Cyclone in Niue.
The Best Things to Do in March
With high heat and a good chance of short rainfall at some point during the day, Niue in March is best enjoyed on or in the water. If you are about to get wet anyway, you may as well experience the unbelievable (and warm!) underwater world that the island has to offer. Plus, by travelling in the low season you are already saving plenty on flights and accommodation so you’ve got more to spend on amazing activities and tours.
Scuba Diving – Being a raised coral atoll, Niue provides mind-blowing sealife. Plus, with an average water temperature of 28°C / 82°F, why not go deeper and for longer to see more?! Scuba diving is a great way to avoid the rain and see the best that Niue has to offer (as long as the swells are behaving). Check out some of The Best Scuba Diving Spots in Niue.
Museums and Galleries – Alofi, the main town of Niue, is home to the Tahiono Art Gallery which showcases breathtaking local art and is a great way to escape from a short rainfall. For those looking to dive deeper into Niue’s culture and history, Niue’s national museum is located in Alofi too. Fale Tau Taoga Niue includes a few WWI artefacts, as we as some superb woven pieces and praised local art.
Snorkelling and Dolphin Watching – Back on and in the water, Niue in March offers world-class snorkelling and dolphin-watching experiences. Plus, you won’t believe how clear the water is! If that does not bait you into jumping on a charter to seek an encounter with the smartest marine mammals, we don’t know what else to say!
If that’s enough, take a look at the 101 Things to Do in Niue: The Ultimate List.
March Packing List for Niue
Niue can be a bit all over the place in March so it can be hard to know where to start when it comes to packing. You’re in luck we’ve got the essentials March packing list for you below:
- High-factor reef-safe sunscreen
- Light bamboo, linen or merino layers (we like the sustainable bamboo clothing of Moso Morrow)
- Light long-sleeved tops (to cover from sun and mosquitoes)
- Light pants/trousers (to cover the knees when appropriate – church service, etc.)
- Insect repellent
- Rash vest (we like the UV-protecting Sharkskin rashies)
- Rain jacket or travel-sized umbrella
- Closed walking shoes
- Reef shoes
- Sarong (paleu) or other light clothing to wear over your swimwear when passing through villages – see What are the Local Customs in Niue? for more information.
Check out our comprehensive packing list, The Complete Packing List for Niue, so you know you’ve got it all.
More About the Weather in Niue in March
That’s it for our complete guide to the weather and climate in Niue in March. Check out the following articles for more weather advice:
- Niue Weather, Seasons & Climate + Niue Weather by Month
- The Best Time to Visit Niue: A Month-by-Month Guide
- Niue Weather in January
- Niue Weather in February
- Niue Weather in April
Finally, enjoy a comprehensive guide to planning a trip to Niue in The Best Niue Travel Guide: Plan a Trip to Niue the EASY Way.