Niue Weather in December
What about spending Christmas in paradise? Spending it in one of the most relaxed places on earth will take away any stress you may have with buying presents and cooking for 20 relatives. Picture yourself floating on Niue’s turquoise waters amongst colourful fish and spending your evening sipping cocktails by the pool… That’s what December has in stock for you in Niue. In all truth, you may experience a few tropical showers during Niue’s wet season, but they offer relief from the hot temperatures. We will be covering temperature, precipitation, UV levels and much more, in this guide to Niue weather in December.
Before we dive into this guide to the Niue weather in December, be sure to bookmark Niue Weather by Month: What is the Weather Like in Niue? and The Best Time to Visit Niue for more climate advice.
5 Tips for Travelling Niue in December
- It’s not because it is the wet season that you can forget about the sunscreen. In fact, the UV levels are higher now than in the dry season so apply sunscreen regularly!
- The first couple of weeks of December are usually heavily discounted but over Christmas and New Year, don’t expect many discounts. We recommend booking your trip one week (or more) in advance, if travelling in early December, and about three weeks (or more) in advance if travelling over the holiday period
- Don’t be put off by the heat, – most accommodations are equipped with either air-conditioning or ceiling fans to keep you cool at night
- December is in the heart of the wet season, which means that mosquito activity is on the rise. It’s not “that” bad, but we still suggest checking out our articles on 10 Ways to Avoid Mosquito Bites in Niue
- Christmas Day and Boxing Day are both public holidays in Niue, so during those days, plan to just relax by the pool or go on a self-guided tour, as almost every business will be closed on those two days.
Typical Temperatures in December
It’s getting hot! Although not as hot as the first few months of the year, December sees a real shift in temperature. As the temperatures rise, so is the foreign feeling to be in a tropical place. Travelling in Niue in December is all about embracing a whole new world and the hot days and cooler nights are surely help enhance that feeling of being so far from home. Sea temperatures are high too, giving further reason to jump in the water… Like if you needed a reason anyway!
The temperatures in Niue in December average 28°C / 82°F during the day in and cool down to an average of 22°C / 72°F at night.
Temperatures in Alofi
- Average maximum temperature: 28°C / 82°F
- Average minimum temperature: 23°C / 73°F
Sea Temperature in December
With an average sea temperature in November of 26°C / 79°F, the wet season brings an unparalleled swimming experience. The wet season in Niue is renowned to offer the warmest waters of the year, despite the highest temperatures being found between January and April.
Hours of Sun in December
December will not disappoint when it comes to the sun. The days are long and hot and the sun rises early in the morning. Early birds will get to do plenty during the cool morning, while easily finding ways to cool down by the pool or by swimming at the end of one of the sea tracks when the sun reaches its zenith. An average day in Niue in November lasts about 13 hours and features up to 6 hours of bright sunshine hours, usually around midday. Applying sunscreen, wearing sunglasses and a sunhat is a must at this time of the year. Plus, it’s a Christmas look that will make everybody jealous back at the office!
UV Levels During December
As mentioned earlier, UV levels in December are at their highest, peaking at 12 on the hottest days. Those levels are classified as “extreme” meaning that tourists are advised to apply sunscreen regularly, after every couple of hours or after going in the water. For the palest skins, consider investing in UV protective T-shirts as well – they are a great way to deal with this kind of sun.
We’ve got a lot of information to help you better deal with the Niuean sun. First, a reef-safe sunscreen list that will keep your skin and the amazing corals of the island safe, and second, a list of the best sunscreen for kids.
Sunrise and Sunset During December
The average amount of daylight in December in Niue is 13 hours.
- Sunrise: 5.35am at the beginning of January and 5.45am at the end of December
- Sunset: 6.45pm at the beginning of January and 7.00pm at the end of December
Rainfall in December
December benefits from a precipitation pattern very different to November, with a similar precipitation level but about twice more rainy days. This means that showers are incredibly short but more regular. It is not uncommon in Niue in December to see torrential rain come for literally only 15 minutes. It is quite a sight! This is due to the fact that Niue is such a flat island with its highest peak being only 69m / 200ft high. The weather passes over it like if it was the open ocean.
In December in Niue, the average rainfall is 161mm / 6.3” spread over 12 days. It means that on average in December, 12 days will experience some kind of rain.
Rainfall in Alofi
- Average rainfall in November: 180mm / 7.1″
- Average rain days: 12
Tropical Storms in December
The cyclone season in Niue runs from November to April. However, it is worth keeping in mind that there have been no major cyclones in Niue in the last 10+ years. The island is only prone to tropical storms and cyclones when specific conditions are met, and when the temperatures exceed 27°C / 80°F.
On top of that, the island nation is very well prepared for this kind of weather event. A testament to that was cyclone Heta that hit Niue in 2004 and caused only minimal loss of life. If any weather warning is issued during your stay, your accommodation or tour staff will escort you to safe zones in higher ground and issue further instructions. Plus, check out How to Prepare for a Cyclone in Niue for more advice.
Best Things to Do in December
December in Niue will keep you on your toes, but let’s be fair, a short warm rainy session won’t really stop you from enjoying your holiday. With warm waters and a lot of sun hours to spare, you will be able to pack your trip as full or as empty as you choose. Let’s go over a few suggestions for things to do in December, just in case you need a bit of inspiration on how to make your Christmas break even more memorable.
Fishing Trip – If you want to be the one catching Christmas dinner, get on one of the many fishing charters and get your big game on! That’s right, Niue has some of the best fishing experiences that you will likely ever experience. The local skippers are incredibly knowledgeable where you are sure to bring a few good tips back home.
Mountain Biking – Looking to challenge yourself in the heat? Niue has a few mountain biking tracks that will take you from coastal roads to inland dirt roads that show you stunning and unique landscapes. We love the track near Liku that goes into the Huvalu Forest Conservation Area, which is stunning and offers plenty of shade.
Snorkelling – If you are travelling with kids, they will LOVE it! If you are an adult looking to see incredible sea life, you’ll love it too! What is not to love about vivid coral formations, rock pools full of life, and warm sea temperatures. Snorkelling in Niue is a winner whatever the season.
December Packing List for Niue
Check out this quick list of essentials to pack for a trip to Niue in December, just so you know you’ve got it all:
- Sunscreen (high-factor protection)
- Insect repellent
- Rain jacket (just in case)
- Light clothing layer (for sun and mosquito protection)
- Light long-sleeved top (for both sun protection and for those evening cocktail dates)
- Light pants/trousers
- Sunhat/sunglasses/swimwear (and whatever else you need in your “summer holiday kit”)
- Sarong or other light clothing to wear over your swimwear when passing through villages.
Are you after a comprehensive packing list for Niue? You’re in luck, we’ve got an ultimate packing list for Niue at the ready so you can hop on the plane knowing you’ve got it all.