What is the Weather Like in Niue in September?
As the southern hemisphere winter warms up in New Zealand and Australia, Niue sees its dry season slowly coming to an end and with that, getting much quieter. As the tourist season slows, the flights and accommodation prices start to decrease. As per the weather, well, it is still tropical perfection with a lot of sun, a lot of sun hours and sometimes a short shower or two! Although our general advice for travelling to Niue in September is to “go ahead, the weather will be great!” we’ll dive a bit deeper into precipitation, temperatures and UV levels in this guide to the Niue weather in September.
Before we dive into this weather guide to Niue in September, be sure to bookmark Niue Weather by Month: What is the Weather Like in Niue? and The Best Time to Visit Niue for more climate advice.
6 Tips for Travelling Niue in September
- September is marking the end of the busy season in Niue. Still, a bit of forward planning is recommended, especially for booking accommodation.
- The UV levels are on the rise again in September, so make sure to keep on top of your sunscreen as sunburn can happen in minutes
- Once every year, each of the 14 Niuean villages holds a “Village Show Day”. These celebrations are simply unmissable, so check the Niue Tourism Events Page to see if a village show day is happening during your stay
- When travelling to Niue, you are travelling to the tropics, so despite the very positive weather average shown in this article, you may experience a few showers – pack a light rain jacket or a travel umbrella!
- Whale watching is particularly good at this time of the year, so if you are drawn to Niue by this activity, September is your best choice
- Whatever the season, look out for rough sea warnings issued by the Niue Met Service and National Disaster Management Office via radio or their Facebook Pages; these are usually days to avoid swimming.
Typical Temperatures in September
After a couple of slightly cooler months, the temperatures in Niue in September are back on the rise offering ever more reasons to jump into the turquoise rock pools that the island harbours. In September, you can expect maximum temperatures to average 26°C / 79°F and cooler nightly temperatures to average 20°C / 68°F. The sea temperatures are similar, offering a very pleasant swimming experience.
Temperatures in Alofi
- Average maximum temperature: 26°C / 79°F
- Average temperature: 24°C / 75°F
- Average minimum temperature: 21°C / 70°F
Sea Temperature in September
With rising land temperatures, expect the waters around Niue to start warming up too. Although there is no significant difference in the data between August and September, the water will already feel warmer making it further inviting. Expect the average sea temperature in Niue in September to be around 25°C / 77°F.
Hours of Sun in September
Expect a longer and sunnier day in September in Niue than in the previous months, so you have plenty of time to dine al fresco after your day of exploring the tiny island nation. It is worth noting that due to the days being so hot, the evenings feel significantly cooler so the chilliest of travellers will want to pack an extra layer to be able to withstand the evening breeze. In September, the average day sees 12 hours of daylight and 5 hours of bright sunshine, usually around midday.
UV Levels During September
It’s mostly with the UV levels that the travellers will be able to notice the dry season coming to an end. In September, the average UV index jumps to 11 which is classified as extreme. This means that even tanned skin will have a good chance to burn should it be left unprotected. Sunhats and sunscreen are a must whenever going outside. Reapply every two hours or after a swim.
Because Niue has such beautiful underwater sea life, we have prepared a list of reef-safe sunscreen for you. It will be your way to enjoy Niue and leave it as you found it for generations to come. And speaking about the next generation, if you are travelling with kids, check out this list of kid-friendly sunscreens designed especially with fragile skins in mind.
Sunrise and Sunset During September
The average amount of daylight in September in Niue is 12 hours.
- Sunrise: 6:30 am at the beginning of September and 6:00 am at the end of September
- Sunset: 6:10 pm at the beginning of September and 6:20 pm at the end of September.
Rainfall in September
The great thing about September is that although almost every indicator starts moving toward the hotter and more humid “wet season”, the average number of rainy days is still quite low. Only a handful of days usually experience showers, most of which are usually short and warm and pass well before you have time to unpack your rain jacket. But it’s true, Niue is a very small and flat island in the middle of the massive Pacific Ocean, so weather passes as smoothly as over water.
The average rainfall in Niue in September is 138 mm / 5.4 in spread over an average of 5 days. This means that on average, only 5 days in August experience some short showers.
Rainfall in Alofi
- Average rainfall in September: 138 mm / 5.4 in
- Average rain days: 5.
Tropical Storms in September
The South Pacific cyclone season starts in November and ends in April. As such, September is one of the best months to avoid tropical cyclones in Niue with a very low risk of tropical storms developing.
The Best Things to Do in September
Since September is wrapping up the busy tourist season, any travellers will find it paradise. The seafood is fantastic, the sea life is fabulous and the villages are bustling with culture. Because we know it can be hard to choose, here’s some inspiration for great things to do in Niue in September.
Check Out the Local Villages – If you are interested in the Pacific culture or simply have never experienced it, hop in one of the many rental cars or bicycles on the island and travel to one of the 14 different villages. Hopefully, you will catch one of the “Village Show Days”, which are fantastic celebrations of life. If it is just a normal day, you will meet friendly locals.
Whale Watching – Probably the most popular activity in the country, whale watching is a must-do in Niue. In September, the whale season is in full swing as whales bring their calves to Niuean waters to give them the best chance to grow. If you are lucky, you may even be able to swim with them too!
Snorkelling and Scuba Diving – There is a lot (and we mean “A LOT!”) of life below the waterline of Niue. From colourful rockpools to amazing scuba spots, Niue does not disappoint when it comes to a day in the water. You can hire snorkelling gear from almost every accommodation, while scuba tours run daily (except Sunday) for experienced and beginner divers alike.
If that’s enough, take a look at the 101 Things to Do in Niue: The Ultimate List.
September Packing List for Niue
Don’t forget the following items when travelling to Niue in September:
- Light clothing layer (linen, bamboo or merino preferably so it is super light – we like the sustainable bamboo clothing of Moso Morrow)
- Light long-sleeved tops (to cover from the sun and take the edge off those slightly cooler nights)
- Light pants/trousers (to cover the knees when appropriate – at church services or to protect from mosquitoes on plantation/forest tours, for example)
- Rash vest (we like the UV-protecting Sharkskin rashies)
- Closed walking shoes
- Reef shoes
- Sarong (paleu – to wear over your swimwear when passing through villages – see What are the Local Customs in Niue? for more information)
- Insect repellent
- High-factor sunscreen (that’s reef-safe and water-resistant).
If you are after a complete packing list for Niue, we’ve put together this Niue Packing List so all you have to do is to check down the list and head to the airport.
More About the Weather in Niue in September
That’s it for our complete guide to the weather and climate in Niue in September. Check out the following articles for more weather advice:
- Niue Weather, Seasons & Climate + Niue Weather by Month
- The Best Time to Visit Niue: A Month-by-Month Guide
- Niue Weather in August
- Niue Weather in October
- Niue Weather in November
Finally, enjoy a comprehensive guide to planning a trip to Niue in The Best Niue Travel Guide: Plan a Trip to Niue the EASY Way.