What is the Weather Like in Niue in November?
November marks the beginning of summer in Niue and, with that, the end of the dry season. Yes, summer in Niue means the start of the wet season. But even the words “wet season” can be misleading as Niue experiences longer and hotter days in November than in previous months. As per the showers, thanks to the incredibly flat landscape of the country, they often pass as fast as they come.
In this guide to the Niue weather in November, you will find information about temperatures, rainfall, UV levels and much more to plan the perfect trip to Niue. This guide takes data averages from previous years. However, with climate change, the weather in Niue is becoming more and more unpredictable for the years to come.
Before we dive into this guide to the Niue weather in November, be sure to bookmark Niue Weather by Month: What is the Weather Like in Niue? and The Best Time to Visit Niue for more climate advice.
5 Tips for Travelling Niue in November
- When the wet season kicks in in the South Pacific, mosquito activity increases. Although very manageable, we suggest checking out our articles on 10 Ways to Avoid Mosquito Bites in Niue
- With longer days, a higher amount of sun hours, and very high UV levels, applying sunscreen regularly is a must!
- November is considered the low season in Niue so hunt for bargains! Expect flight and accommodation prices to start getting discounted
- As the days are getting hotter, so are the nights. Luckily, most accommodations are equipped with air-conditioning or ceiling fans to keep you cool when sleeping
- Whatever the season, look out for rough sea warnings issued by the Niue Met Service and National Disaster Management Office via radio or their Facebook Pages; these are usually days to avoid swimming.
Typical Temperatures in November
In November, Niue usually experiences the warm but at least not scorching temperatures enjoyed the previous month. On the other hand, the sea temperature is usually on the rise. With humidity on the up also, you will find the warm waters surrounding the tiny island nation to be incredibly welcoming. The temperatures in Niue in November tend to be at highs of 27°C / 81°F on average and go down to an average of 22°C / 72°F at night.
Temperatures in Alofi
- Average maximum temperature: 27°C / 81°F
- Average temperature: 25°C / 77°F
- Average minimum temperature: 22°C / 72°F
Sea Temperature in November
With an average sea temperature in November of 26°C / 79°F, the wet season brings an unparalleled swimming experience.
Hours of Sun in November
Your average day in November in Niue will last for an astounding 13 hours, giving you plenty of time to do some serious exploring (or some serious relaxing). The sun rises early and gives the best paradise experience with cool yet sunny mornings. Around midday, the sun starts really kicking in delivering an average of 6 hours of bright sunshine. Sunhat, sunscreen and UV-protective clothing are recommended.
UV Levels During November
With the wet season comes the highest UV level the country experiences. The average UV index in November is 12. This level is classified as extreme and should be taken seriously. Although you are probably heading to the island to get some sun, do so responsibly by applying factor 30+ sunscreen every two-to-three hours, wearing sunglasses and a sunhat all day long, and keeping a close eye on children’s skin if you are on a family holiday.
We’ve put together a few articles to help you deal with the Niuean sun better: a reef-safe sunscreens list, that will keep your skin and the stunning underwater world safe, and a list of the best sunscreens for kids.
Sunrise and Sunset During November
The average amount of daylight in November in Niue is 13 hours.
- Sunrise: 5:40 am at the beginning of November and 5:35 am at the end of November
- Sunset: 6:30 pm at the beginning of November and 6:45 pm at the end of November.
Rainfall in November
November in Niue brings a bit more rain than previous months. But, being only the beginning of the wet season, it benefits from much more clement weather. Indeed, it only receives about half of the precipitation than the height of the wet season. With longer days and hotter weather, the short bursts of rain are unlikely to affect your trip too much. In fact, they may even be a welcome cool down.
In November in Niue, the average rainfall is 156 mm / 6.1 in spread over an average of 6 days. It means that during an average November month, only 6 days see some kind of precipitation.
Rainfall in Alofi
- Average rainfall in November: 156 mm / 6.1 in
- Average rain days: 6.
Tropical Storms in November
The South Pacific cyclone season starts in November and ends in April, making November a month with a slight risk of tropical storms but the risk is nowhere as likely as in later the months of December, January, February and March.
Historically, Niue was only affected by a tropical cyclone in November 1964 and 1968.
If you want to completely avoid the risk of cyclones in Niue, it’s best to travel in the dry season. For those planning to travel during November, it’s still a good idea to be aware of what to do in a cyclone by following our guide, Cyclone Safety in Niue.
The Best Things to Do in November
Making the most of November involves being flexible. It may rain for half an hour here and there, it may be hot, the sun may be scorching, or you may have an idyllic day ahead of you. The tropics have this way of keeping you on your toes. However, this unpredictability brings a major silver lining: water temperature! The warm waters are bliss and are pretty much what Niue offers best, so hop on a boat or find yourself an isolated rock pool and enjoy your paradise escape.
Snorkelling and Scuba Diving – Niueans live from and on the water, so it comes as no surprise that one of the best things to do in Niue is to explore its unique underwater world. You will be amazed by how lively and colourful it is down there! And since the water is so warm, why not get even deeper with a scuba diving tour? You can find stunning diving spots for beginners and professional divers alike all around the raised coral atoll.
Fishing – Looking for a good feed? Chat with one of the fishing charter operators about getting on the water to catch dinner. They will be happy to oblige. From big game to your classic South Pacific catches, your skills will be tested and you are sure to learn a trick or two from the skipper.
Museums – If you are around Alofi when the rain strikes, run for cover in the local art gallery or the national museum. You’ll be able to kill the half an hour needed for the rain to pass in the Fale Tau Taoga Niue, which is the national museum of the island featuring WWI relics and superbly woven items. Alternatively, the Tahiono Art Gallery showcases contemporary art and jewellery from a local artist.
If that’s enough, take a look at the 101 Things to Do in Niue: The Ultimate List.
November Packing List for Niue
Forget nothing! Start with this essential list of things to pack for Niue in November and then move on to our Full Niue Packing List for everything that you should pack for your trip to be a breeze.
- High-factor reef-safe sunscreen
- Light bamboo, linen or merino layers (we like the sustainable bamboo clothing of Moso Morrow)
- Light long-sleeved tops (to cover from sun and mosquitoes)
- Light pants/trousers (to cover the knees when appropriate – church service, etc.)
- Insect repellent
- Rash vest (we like the UV-protecting Sharkskin rashies)
- Rain jacket or travel-sized umbrella
- Closed walking shoes
- Reef shoes
- Sarong (paleu) or other light clothing to wear over your swimwear when passing through villages – see What are the Local Customs in Niue? for more information.
More About the Weather in Niue in November
That’s it for our complete guide to the weather and climate in Niue in November. Check out the following articles for more weather advice:
- Niue Weather, Seasons & Climate + Niue Weather by Month
- The Best Time to Visit Niue: A Month-by-Month Guide
- Niue Weather in September
- Niue Weather in October
- Niue Weather in December
Finally, enjoy a comprehensive guide to planning a trip to Niue in The Best Niue Travel Guide: Plan a Trip to Niue the EASY Way.