The Guide to Weddings in Niue
You know who you want to spend the rest of your life with, you know that you want to start it in a unique tropical destination, such as Niue, but how? Bring the dream together starting with this guide to everything you need to know about getting married in Niue.
From the legal requirements to choosing a wedding date, there are a few things to mull over for a tropical wedding, especially if eloping overseas! Nevertheless, planning a wedding is made easy in Niue with effortless wedding packages available, yet not too many options so you won’t suffer from all-too-common decision fatigue. We go through it all in the wedding guide below.
Before we jump into everything you need to know about getting married in Niue, be sure to bookmark The Wedding & Honeymoon Guide to Niue for more trip-planning advice.
Reasons to Get Married in Niue
- Niue is a unique location for a wedding on the world’s largest uplifted coral atoll
- The backdrop to your wedding ceremony can be a stunning clifftop resort, a secluded beach, coastal chasm, cave or one of the quaint village churches
- Get a wedding and honeymoon experience rolled up into one
- A marriage certificate with the Apostille Seal from Niue is internationally recognised
- The legal requirements for getting married in Niue is uncomplicated
- There are wedding packages available for effortless wedding planning
- Niue is a truly off-the-beaten-track wedding destination, so you’re unlikely to know anyone else who got married here!
Do you really need more reasons? If you do, there’s plenty more where that came from in the 10 Reasons to Have a Destination Wedding in Niue.
You Need to Make Sure the Marriage is Legal
First things first, you need to know if you have the right to get married in Niue. Although there are a few conditions for couples getting married in Niue, there’s nothing on the list that is too restrictive or out of the ordinary. If you can meet the conditions and provide the necessary documents, getting a marriage licence, or locally known as a “Marriage Register”, is simple.
Conditions for Getting Married in Niue
To get married in Niue, you need:
- The bride to be 16 years and over and the groom to be 18 years and over
- Witnesses for the marriage solemnisation that are over the age of 21
- A marriage solemnisation that does not take place on a Sunday or a public holiday
- Both the bride and the groom to be either single, divorced or widowed
- Both the bride and the groom have valid passports and visas (if applicable).
Documents for the Marriage Register
If you fit the above criteria, then you can start putting together the required documents to get the Marriage Register in Niue. The documents you require include original copies of certified copies of the following:
- Birth certificates
- Passports with valid visas
- A formal letter from both the bride and groom stating that they have never been married before
- Divorce certificates, if applicable
- Death certificates of a spouse, if applicable.
Getting Your Marriage Register in Niue
Once you have your paperwork and you have arrived in Niue, you will need to visit the Niue Justice Department in Alofi to complete and sign the Notice of Intended Marriage Form. This must be completed no less than three working days before your wedding date, bearing in mind that the working days for the government in Niue is Monday to Thursday only. Once you have the Notice of Intended Marriage Form processed, you will be given a Marriage Register to be signed by the Marriage Officer (celebrant or minister), bride, groom and the witnesses.
After your wedding ceremony and the Marriage Register has been signed, a copy will be given to the Justice Department to be registered and receive the Apostille Seal if requested.
For more details on the marriage legalities process, see What are the Marriage Requirements in Niue?
Pick Your Dates Wisely
So you know that you are ready to tie the knot. You know you want to do it in the beautiful destination of Niue. You now even know how to make your marriage legal in Niue. Now, you just need to know when?
For choosing a wedding date in Niue, you not only need to consider which is the right season for you, but you need to also give yourself time to complete the legalities in Niue before your wedding ceremony.
The Best Time to Plan a Wedding in Niue
There’s never really a bad time to plan your wedding in Niue for. However, timing is still important if you have certain needs. For instance, Niue has two distinct seasons, the dry season (winter) and the wet season (summer), which come with their differences. The dry season is a popular time in Niue for tourism, where the weather is warm but dry (mostly). The wet season is a quieter time on the island accompanied by weather that is hotter and more humid. If you have nightmares of rain on your wedding day, then you’ll have better odds for a dry wedding in the dry season (May-October). This time is also better for seasonal activities, such as whale swimming. However, if you want the feeling of having the island all to yourselves, then you might want to consider a wedding in the wet season (November-April).
Compare the seasons further in What are the Seasons in Niue?
When to Arrive in Niue for Your Wedding
To allow for the limited government operational hours and processing time for the Marriage Register, couples should arrive at least three or four days before their wedding date if the wedding date is on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday. Couples whose wedding date is on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday should arrive at least five days before their wedding date, as no processing for the Marriage Register can be done from Friday to Sunday. Check the latest flight schedules in Which Airlines Fly to Niue?
Choose a Wedding Venue and Package
Once the how and the when are known, you can start to make the dream a reality by organising your wedding with Niue’s wedding planners and venues. You don’t need to scratch your head too hard on picking a wedding planner in Niue, as the Scenic Matavai Resort presents your only option for eloping couples not looking for a religious church ceremony. (Ceremonies through the local Christian churches can be organised through your denomination’s network). Nevertheless, with multiple wedding venue options both on-site and around the island, the Scenic Matavai Resort can arrange a unique wedding to your requirements.
What Do Wedding Packages Include?
Wedding packages with the Scenic Matavai Resort has a standard wedding package of:
- A wedding venue
- A wedding planner
- Registration with the Niue Justice Department
- Marriage certificate
- Bride’s floral headpiece and groom’s Niuean neck garland
- Up to ten covered chairs
- Rehearsal evenings
- Marriage celebrant
- Portable sound system
- Two witnesses, if required
The following features can be added to wedding packages:
- Serenader for the ceremony
- Local dancer
- Floral archway
- His-and-her paleu (sarong)
- An off-site wedding ceremony location, such as beaches and caves
- Transport to the said site for up to eight people
- Dinner for two
- Food and beverage packages
- Accommodation packages.
The Scenic Matavai Resort can also offer a number of off-site services, from hair and beauty to photography and more. Learn more about the resort as a wedding accommodation in the 10 Best Wedding & Honeymoon Accommodation in Niue.
Plan Your Honeymoon
The great thing about a wedding in Niue is that you’re at your glorious honeymoon destination as soon as you tie the knot! You can start enjoying the romantic activities and stunning natural attractions that this raised coral atoll has to offer.