Where is the Best Place to Stay in Niue?
Where should you stay when visiting the “Rock of the Pacific”? Niue has approximately 30 accommodations to choose from, whether it’s a local guesthouse, a quaint self-contained villa, a luxurious oceanfront cottage, or the island’s ever-popular resort. To make the accommodation-choosing process a little more clear, we’ve separated the accommodations available into their various locations and villages across the island so you’ll be able to determine which side of the island to stay on. So discover where to stay in Niue with our complete guide!
The Top 10 Accommodations in Niue
Before we dive into this complete guide on where to stay in Niue, we thought you’d find it helpful for us to list our top 10 Niue accommodations and where to find them.
- Scenic Matavai Resort – Tamakautoga (southwest coast)
- Lau’s Getaway – Avatele (southwest coast)
- Tuaga Lodge – Alofi Town (central west coast)
- Namukulu Cottages – Namukulu (northwest coast)
- Taoke Fales – Lakepa (east coast)
- Breeze – Avatele (southwest coast)
- Aleki Guesthouse – Avatele (southwest coast)
- Anaiki Motel – Makefu (northwest coast)
- The Restoration Reef – Alofi Town (central west coast)
- Heleni Jessop’s Fatahega – Alofi Town (central west coast).
The list continues in The 30 Best Accommodations in Niue.
Niue Accommodation in Alofi (Central West Coast)
Sprawling along the central west coast of Niue, Alofi is the main town of the island. Naturally, it’s a hub for dining and shopping, while it also has its own array of attractions, such as sea tracks, a museum, fishing charters and tours.
The town is split down the middle into two villages, Alofi North and Alofi South, not that you’ll see the difference, while another part of the town is further inland towards Hanan Airport where you’ll find the golf course and Swanson Shopping Complex. We go further into detail about the various suburbs of the town in Where to Stay in Alofi.
More About Staying in Alofi
What’s Alofi good for? Shopping, market, dining, sea tracks, fishing charters and more.
What to do there? Niue Market, Alofi Commercial Centre, Opaahi Sea Track, Utuko Reef, Togalahi Sea Track, Alofi Wharf, Tomb Point, Ekalesia Church Alofi, weaving groups, Niue Vanilla Tours, Vilina Hair Salon, Fale Tau Taoga Niue Museum, Omahi Sea Track, Togalupo Sea Track, Houme Sea Track, Vaila Cave and bike trails.
Where to eat? Crazy Uga Cafe, Kaiika, Vaiolama Cafe, Vanilla Cafe, Cafe Tavana, Crow’s Nest, Manuiz, Katuali Coffee House, Little Rock, Buk Buk Chicken, Jenna’s Restaurant, Fana Cafe and more. See The Best Places to Eat in Alofi for more details.
The Best Budget Guesthouses in Alofi
- Heleni Jessop’s Fatahega – Guest rooms with shared facilities
- Kololi’s Motel – Rooms with shared facilities plus self-contained units
- Peleni’s Guesthouse – Ensuite rooms with shared facilities
- Joema Place – Super central rooms with communal facilities.
The Best Holiday Homes in Alofi Town
- The Restoration Reef – Self-contained studio with a view
- Mahofi Cottage – Super central two-bedroom home
- Yolos Accommodation – Two-bedroom home in Alofi North
- Lutu Aliutu – Two-bedroom home with a pool near the airport
- Aliutu Guesthouse – Affordable holiday home in town
- Vinnie’s Guesthouse – Economy three-bedroom guesthouse.
Check out the 10 Best Holiday Homes in Alofi for more details.
The Best Lodges and Villas in Alofi
- Tuaga Lodge – Modern centrally located self-contained units
- Stone Villas – Elegant villas nestled in forest
- Taloa Heights – Studio and villas around a pool
- Petite Hatava – Two self-contained studio units near Swansons
- Anakule – Two modern ensuite rooms with a shared kitchen.
Check out the 15 Best Hotels & Places to Stay in Alofi for more details.
Niue Accommodation in Makefu, Tuapa and Namukulu (Northwest Coast)
Head north from Alofi and you’ll come across Niue’s most popular swimming and snorkelling spots and limestone cave attractions. A small selection of accommodations is sparsely scattered among the small villages of Makefu, Tuapa and Namukulu. Learn more about these villages in the 5 Smallest Villages in Niue.
More About Staying in Makefu, Tuapa and Namukulu (Northwest Coast)
What’s the northwest coast good for? Sea tracks, swimming, snorkelling, caves and sightseeing.
What to do there? Talava Arches, Matapa Chasm, Hikutavake Pools, Limu Pools, Hio Beach, Palaha Cave, Avaiki Cave, Peniamina’s Grave Memorial and bike trails.
Where to eat? Hio Cafe & Bar. See 20 Best Restaurants in Niue for more details.
The Best Holiday Accommodation in Namukulu and Makefu
- Namukulu Cottages – Self-contained bungalows surrounding a pool
- Anaiki Motel – Clifftop self-contained units with pool and sea cave access.
For more details check out the 20 Best Resorts & Hotels in Niue.
The Best Holiday Home in Makefu
- Nanas Ocean View Chalet – One-bedroom holiday home with a car.
Check out the 10 Best Holiday Homes in Niue for more details.
Niue Accommodation in Tamakautoga and Avatele (Southwest Coast)
South of Alofi and Hanan Airport is where you’ll find the majority of rooms in Niue, largely thanks to the island’s one and only resort. Between the villages of Tamakautoga and Avatele, you’ll also find a selection of attractive self-contained holiday units, as well as options for travellers on a budget.
More About Staying in Tamakautoga and Avatele (Southwest Coast)
What’s the southwest coast good for? Sea tracks, swimming, snorkelling, beaches, sightseeing, scuba diving, whale tours and more.
What to do there? Tamakautoga Beach, Avatele Beach, Pofitu Beach, Scenic Matavai Resort, Niue Blue scuba diving, snorkelling and whale tours, Maulu Spa and bike trails.
Where to eat? Dolphin Restaurant @ Scenic Matavai Resort and Washaway Cafe. See 20 Best Restaurants in Niue for more details.
The Best Resorts in Tamakautoga
- Scenic Matavai Resort – Resort with a pool, restaurant and evening entertainment
- Scenic Matavai Apartments & Villa – Self-contained villas with a pool.
For more details on some of these accommodations, check out the 20 Best Resorts & Hotels in Niue.
The Best Boutique Villas in Tamakautoga and Avatele
- Lau’s Getaway – Luxury clifftop villas for couples
- Breeze – Double/twin studios with clifftop decks
- NIC’s Bungalows – Good value self-contained units with car rental.
The Best Budget Accommodations in Avatele
- Aleki Guesthouse – Ensuite units with kitchenette, communal kitchen and car hire
- Damiana’s Holiday Motel – Self-catering units nestled in bush gardens.
Learn more about these stays in the 10 Best Budget Accommodations in Niue.
Niue Accommodation in Hakupu and Lakepa (East Coast)
Certainly the lesser-stayed side of the island, if you’re looking for a secluded retreat among the quieter villages, then set your sights on the east coast of Niue. The limited accommodations available are situated in Hakupu on the southeast side of the island and Lakepa on the northeast side.
There are many appeals to this side of the island with the Huvalu Forest hiding the pinnacle-dappled Togo Chasm and the adventurous bush trail of the Vinivini Track. What this coast lacks in swimming spots it makes up for in sightseeing and reef walking spot. See the 8 Best Sea Tracks on the East Coast and 5 Best Things to Do in Hakupu for inspiration.
More About Staying in Hakupu and Lakepa (East Coast)
What’s the east coast good for? Sea tracks, reef walking, guided tours, bike trails, historical sites and more.
What to do there? Uluvehi Sea Track, Puluhiki Sea Track, Tautu Sea Track, Huvalu Forest, Lau Foli Umu Pit, Taue i Fupiu Fort, Anapala Chasm, Togo Chasm, Motu Sea Track, A5 Tours, Ebony Rainforest Tours, Maala Garden Tour and bike trails.
Where to eat? Lilo’s Restaurant. See 20 Best Restaurants in Niue for more details.
The Best Holiday Home in Hakupu
- Lalopine Rockhouse – Rent a room or the whole two-bedroom house.
For more details on this accommodation, check out the 10 Best Holiday Homes in Niue.
The Best Boutique Accommodation in Lakepa
- Taoke Fales – Three freestanding self-contained units in a coconut grove.
Check out the 10 Best Boutique Accommodations in Niue for more details.
The Best Budget Accommodation in Lakepa
- Lialagi Dorm & Units – Affordable stay for groups and families in a renovated school building.
Learn more about these stays in the 10 Best Budget Accommodations in Niue.
The Best Accommodations in Niue: Accommodation Categories
By now, you’ve probably realised that Niue has accommodations appealing to all types of travellers and that here, at Niue Pocket Guide, we’ve ranked all the best! Browse Niue accommodation by category using the following links:
- 20 Best Resorts & Hotels
- 10 Best Boutique Accommodations
- 10 Best Lodges
- 10 Best Villas
- 5 Best Backpacker Accommodations
- 10 Best Family Accommodations
- 10 Most Romantic Honeymoon Accommodations
- 10 Best Budget Accommodations
Plan more of your trip according to different travel styles using The Complete Travel Guide to Niue. Alternatively, if you’re looking for specific facilities or conveniences, take a look at the following:
- 10 Best Self-Catering Accommodations
- 6 Accommodations with a Swimming Pool
- 10 Places to Stay Near Snorkelling & Swimming Spots
- 8 Best Accommodations for Whale Watching
- The 7 Best Car Rentals
- The Accommodations with Bike Hire
- 10 Accommodations That Offer Airport Transfers.
Or compare them all in The 30 Best Accommodations in Niue.
How to Book Accommodation in Niue
With only a rare few accommodations in Niue having websites, it might not be entirely obvious how to book a place to stay in Niue. Learn more about booking accommodations over the phone, email or via Facebook Messenger by checking out our complete guide on How to Book Accommodation in Niue.
Final Tips for Staying in Niue
- If travelling in the high season (July-September), book early to get your first choice of accommodation
- Most of Niue’s accommodation is self-catering, so see where you can pick up groceries in The Guide to Supermarkets & Food Shopping in Niue
- Note that wearing swimwear in Niue’s towns and villages is not permitted
- Hiring a car or bicycle is recommended for most stays in Niue, as there is no public transport. See Should You Rent a Car or a Bicycle in Niue? for advice
- There is no ATM on the island, but you can get cash out at Kiwibank, Niue Rentals, Bond Store and Swanson Supermarket.
More About Where to Stay in Niue
Woah! Well done for making it this far in our guide to the best locations in Niue to stay. By now, you probably have a good idea of where to stay in Niue, so plan the rest of your trip with these guides:
- 101 Things to Do in Niue: The Ultimate List
- The Food Guide to Niue: Places to Eat, Food Tours & More
- Niue Travel Tips: 31 Tips for Travelling in Niue