The Cost of Travelling to Niue + How to Plan a Budget for Niue
How much does it cost to travel in Niue? Since everyone has their own style of travel, from how they eat to what activities they do, it would be pointless to just state a price… In this guide, we list as many typical expenses you’re likely to encounter as possible in Niue, so you can pick and choose what prices would apply to your holiday so you can plan your budget accordingly. Note that prices are approximate and may change.
Niue Travel Budget Examples
We can’t stress enough how everyone’s budget will be different for a trip to Niue. That’s why we strongly encourage you to look at the prices in the below guide to determine what prices apply to your trip so that you can budget more accurately. Nevertheless, because we know that many of you like the average cost for a trip to Niue, we have put together three examples of a Niue travel budget.
The Daily Cost of a Trip to Niue
Here are a few averages for a daily budget for Niue. This includes accommodation, food, transport and takes into account that you might do one activity each day. This does not include flights or anything else not previously mentioned. Each price is per person per day.
- Budget daily budget: NZ$170
- Mid-range daily budget: NZ$350
- Luxury daily budget: NZ$620+
How much does it cost to go to Niue for one week?
Budget trip – NZ$1,190, Mid-range trip – NZ$2,450, Luxury trip – NZ$4,340.
How much does it cost to go to Niue for 10 days?
Budget trip – NZ$1,700, Mid-range trip – NZ$3,500, Luxury trip – NZ$6,200.
How much does it cost to go to Niue for two weeks?
Budget trip – NZ$2,380, Mid-range trip – NZ$4,900, Luxury trip – NZ$8,680.
For more budget advice, take a look at How Much Spending Money Do You Need for Niue?
Typical Costs Before You Arrive in Niue
Jetting off to any holiday destination has its expenses, from flights to visas. If you are taking a direct flight from Auckland to Niue, approximate flight prices are:
- Flight to Niue economy seat and bag/person – NZ$285-$295
- Flight from Niue economy seat and bag/person – NZ$365-$375
There is a huge number of connecting flights to Auckland, so see How to Book a Cheap Flight to Niue for advice on cutting the flight costs for those.
As for visas, most visitors to Niue do not need to pay for a visa to enter Niue for holiday purposes. See Do You Need a Visa to Visit Niue? for more details.
You might want to consider making a few purchases for your Niue getaway, including essentials like reef-safe sunscreen, reef shoes, snorkelling gear and more. Check out The Complete Packing List for Niue for advice.
Finally, you will need to book accommodation in Niue before you arrive, as it is a condition for your entry into Niue. See more information on accommodation costs in the section below.
The Cost of Accommodation in Niue
From budget guesthouses to a four-star resort, there is a wide range of accommodation available on the island of Niue. Browse The 30 Best Accommodations in Niue to get more information on all of Niue’s best stays. It’s always a good idea to compare accommodation inclusions, as some accommodations might be more expensive but may include airport transfers, breakfast, bike hire, car hire and more.
Accommodation Prices in Niue
- Guesthouse double room/night – NZ$50-$90
- Guesthouse double ensuite/night – NZ$60-$190
- Budget self-contained studio/night – NZ$120-$150
- Budget family unit or holiday home/night – NZ$160-$200
- Premium self-contained villa/night – NZ$195-$320
- Resort room/night – NZ$290-$460
- Resort room interconnecting/night – NZ$650-$840
- Premium studio apartment/night – NZ$225-$250
- Premium family holiday home/night – NZ$230-$500
For more information and the cost of accommodation services, see What is the Cost of Accommodation in Niue?
The Cost of Food in Niue
Whether you decide to eat out at Niue’s small but fantastic range of restaurants or save a bit extra by making the most of your accommodation’s self-catering facilities, you’ll be able to plan your food budget for Niue with this list of typical food prices. Get advice on Where to Buy Food in Niue here.
Restaurant Prices in Niue
- Main breakfast meal – NZ$9-$22
- Main lunch meal – NZ$13-$25
- Main dinner meal – NZ$20-$35
- Niuean buffet – NZ$50-$60
- Small coffee – NZ$5-$6
- Bottle of beer – NZ$4-$10
- Glass of wine – NZ$11-$16
- Cocktail – NZ$15-$17
- Soft drink – NZ$4-$5
Supermarket Food Prices in Niue
- 1.5l (50 fluid ounces) box of milk – NZ$2.90
- 12 eggs – NZ$10
- 1kg (2.2 pounds) rice – NZ$4.90
- 500g (1.1 pounds) pasta – NZ$3.50-$50
- A loaf of bread – NZ$5
- 1kg (2.2 pounds) cheese – NZ$13
- 100g (3 ounces) dry freeze coffee – NZ$5-$9
- Bag of chips – NZ$4-$5
- Can of coke – NZ$2.50
- Box of cereal – NZ$5-$13
- 500g (1.1 pounds) jam – NZ$5
- 120g (4.4. ounces) baby food – NZ$4
- 1.25l (42 fluid ounces) bottled water – NZ$3.50
- 1kg (2.2 pounds) of apples – NZ$6
- Bunch of bananas – NZ$5
- 1kg (2.2 pounds) of tomatoes – NZ$20
- 1kg (2.2 pounds) of onions – NZ$7
- 1kg (2.2 pounds) of potatoes – NZ$5.50
- Whole chicken – NZ$8-$20
- 1kg (2.2 pounds) of beef mince – NZ$15
- 1kg (2.2 pounds) of pork – NZ$19
- 1kg (2.2 pounds) of lamb – NZ$22
- 1kg (2.2 pounds) of scallops – NZ$57
- 1kg (2.2 pounds) of mussels – NZ$19
Find out more about typical food prices in Niue in What is the Cost of Food in Niue?
The Cost of Activities in Niue
Of course, you’re going to want to do stuff while you’re on “the Rock of the Pacific”. Niue is full of amazing land and water experiences, from life-changing whale swimming to unique coconut crab tours. See if you can afford your bucket list activities with this list of Niue activity prices (plus, check out what there is to do in the 101 Things to Do in Niue: The Ultimate List).
Land Activity Prices in Niue
- Guided orientation tour – NZ$70
- Uga hunting tour – NZ$70
- Nature tour – NZ$50-$70
- Plantation tour – NZ$50-$70
- Cave tour – NZ$75
- Spa treatment – NZ$90+
- Mountain bike hire/day – NZ$10-$30
- Museum entry – NZ$10
Water Activity Prices in Niue
- Whale/dolphin swimming tour – NZ$170
- Scuba diving/two-tank – NZ$190-$230
- Snorkelling by boat – NZ$90-$100
- Snorkel hire/day – Free-NZ$10
- SUP hire/day – NZ$50
- Private fishing charter/half-day – NZ$500
- Vaka (canoe) tour – NZ$50
For more information and a list of all of Niue’s free activities, see What is the Cost of Activities in Niue?
The Cost of Transport in Niue
Unlike other South Pacific Islands, Niue doesn’t have expensive overwater travel costs being just one island. In fact, the offering of transport on the island is limited but affordable. While car rental is the most popular option, it comes with associated costs like the Niue Driver’s License and fuel. See typical prices below and more information on your transport options in the 8 Ways to Get to (& Around) Niue.
Transport Prices in Niue
- Niue Driver’s License – NZ$22.50
- Motorbike rental/day – NZ$40
- Car rental/day – NZ$55-$75
- Petrol/litre – NZ$2.64+
- Bicycle rental/day – NZ$10
- Taxi/kilometre – NZ$2
- Accommodation/airport transfers – Free
For more information on transport prices, see What is the Cost of Transport in Niue?
So, is Niue Expensive or Cheap to Visit?
Niue can be enjoyed on a tight budget, mainly due to many of the highlights being free to visit, but there are certainly opportunities to splurge if you want to. Niue is marginally more expensive than New Zealand and Australia in terms of food, fuel and accommodation but cheaper in terms of tours and activities.
More About the Cost of Travelling in Niue
That’s it for our Niue travel budget guide and the cost of a trip to Niue. For more money tips, take a look at the following articles:
- 10 Ways to Save Money When Travelling in Niue
- How Much Spending Money Do You Need for Niue?
- 10 Tips for Travelling Niue on a Budget
Finally, for more budgeting tips, take a look at The Travel Guide to Niue on a Budget.